Lime wash paint had been around for a long time in Singapore but recently, as home owners want to look for something that can make their home stand out and yet still affordable, lime wash paint starts to become highly sought after.
As a painting company that provides lime wash painting, we start to get more regular enquires on this range of paint.
So what exactly is lime wash paint and what are the benefits?
Lime wash paint is a type of paint that is made from a mixture of slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) and water. It has been used for centuries as a traditional and eco-friendly way to finish and protect surfaces.
Lime wash paint creates a unique and distinctive appearance, often characterized by its soft, matte finish and subtle variations in colour. It is a form of textured paint that comes in many designs.
Here are some key characteristics and benefits of lime wash paint:
- Breathability: Lime wash is highly breathable, allowing moisture to evaporate from the surface. This makes it suitable for application on porous materials such as masonry, plaster, and brick, as it allows the substrate to “breathe” and reduces the risk of trapped moisture.
- Natural and eco-friendly: Lime wash is made from natural ingredients, primarily slaked lime and water, making it an environmentally friendly choice compared to conventional paints that may contain synthetic chemicals. It is also biodegradable and non-toxic.
- Antimicrobial properties: Lime wash has inherent antimicrobial properties, which can help inhibit the growth of mold and mildew on painted surfaces. This makes it a suitable option for humid environments or areas prone to moisture-related issues.
- Aging and patina: Over time, lime wash develops a unique patina and weathers naturally. It can create a beautiful, aged effect that adds character and charm to surfaces. This makes lime wash particularly desirable for restoration projects or when aiming for a vintage or rustic look.
- Versatility: Lime wash can be applied to a variety of surfaces, including interior and exterior walls, plaster, stucco, and even wood. It can be used to achieve different effects, ranging from a solid and opaque finish to a more translucent and textured appearance.
It’s important to note that lime wash paint requires proper surface preparation and multiple coats for optimal performance. The application process involves soaking the lime powder in water, allowing it to slake and mature before applying it to the surface.
Currently in Singapore, there are premixed lime wash paint that can be readily applied to your walls without the mixing part. All you need to do is to prepared your walls’ surface and start application.
Lime wash paint offers a distinct aesthetic and benefits, giving surfaces a timeless and natural look. If you’re interested in using lime wash paint for your project, it’s recommended to consult with professionals experienced in lime-based finishes to ensure proper application and achieve the desired results.
Visit www.painting.com.sg to understand further and get samples that might be the perfect option for your walls. At the same time, you can message us for a quote or to find out more what is LimeWash Paint.